With the completion of a $21.1 million renovation in 2005
The hotel was restored to preserve many original features of the property while expanding it to serve today’s guests with a complete range of modern amenities and services. Following are a few interesting facts about the history of the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center and the property’s refurbishment:
The hotel, which originally opened in 1924, was designed by H.L. Stevens and is considered an excellent example of the renowned American architect’s work in the Colonial Revivalist style.
Many features of the lobby area have been restored to their original splendor
This includes the marble floors, the glass display cases along wall adjacent to the Colonnade Ballroom and the dormered entryways into the pre-function space of the meetings area. The chandeliers and wall sconces in the lobby and in other parts of the hotel, such as the Colonnade Ballroom are all original.
Above the lobby, the mezzanine area has also been restored, with its original railings and birds-eye view to the activities taking place in the lobby area.
Located in the mezzanine is an original Wurlitzer Organ.
A one-of-a-kind instrument, the organ was built in 1924 and has been an important part of the Stonewall Jackson’s history. The organ has been precisely restored to it original condition and tone. It is the only known working 1924 Wurlitzer Organ.
The lobby area which is now a cocktail lounge features an original fireplace façade. This area was a seating area where Shenandoah society women used to gather for light conversation. The doorway to this area is the hotel’s original entryway.
In the early years of the hotel, the Colonnade Ballroom was a popular spot for special events.
hosted by the Shenandoah Valley society, such as weddings and cotillion balls. The ballroom’s floors, moldings and detailed ironwork have all been restored.
In the area of the Colonnade Ballroom which is now serves as the hotel’s restaurant, the ceiling has been raised to its original height, providing guests with an airy dining area and ample light.
The accommodations at the Stonewall Jackson are located in two seamlessly-conjoined sections. The first is the hotel’s historic wing, where hallways and entryways have been preserved to their original configuration. Additional rooms in the new wing allow for the hotel to welcome more guests and host small meetings, groups and weddings.
Other aspects of the expansion of the Stonewall Jackson include the addition of the porte-cochere, 4,453 sq. feet of meeting and event space, a business center, indoor pool and fitness facility, and gift shop.
As a result of this major renovation project, the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center has been recognized by the National Trust Historic Hotels of America for its historic and architectural significance.